Five masked persons have been identified in connection with the August 19 violence in Shillong, particularly attacks on Assam-registered vehicles, as Meghalaya and Assam agreed to constitute permanent district-level joint committees to promptly resolve day-to-day issues along the inter-State border. The Meghalaya Government has also constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to identify all those involved in the violence and ensure their prosecution in accordance with law.
Deputy Chief Minister in-charge of Transport, Meghalaya, Sniawbhalang Dhar said on Saturday that tourists from Assam would be escorted back safely within 48 hours, with additional security and safety arrangements put in place to prevent any untoward incident.
On the identification of the miscreants, Dhar said, “Five masked persons have so far been identified as being involved in the incident of 19th August 2026, particularly in the attacks on Assam-registered vehicles.”
On the constitution of the SIT, he said, “The Government of Meghalaya informed that a Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been constituted to identify all the miscreants involved in the violence in Shillong, particularly those responsible for attacks on Assam-registered vehicles, and to ensure their prosecution in accordance with law.”
The developments followed a joint meeting between the Governments of Meghalaya and Assam on Saturday, 22nd August 2026, at the Koinadhara State Guest House to deliberate on the developments following the August 19 incident in Shillong. The meeting was led by Dhar and Assam Cabinet Minister Atul Bora and attended by senior officers of both State Governments.
After more than three hours of deliberations, the two sides arrived at a series of decisions covering investigation, evacuation, security, inter-State coordination and tourist transport.
The Meghalaya Government, while regretting the August 19 incident, assured the meeting that strong action would be taken against those involved. It also informed the meeting that the President, Vice-President and General Secretary of the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) had been arrested by invoking the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act. Fifteen FIRs have so far been registered in connection with the incident.
The two governments agreed to constitute permanent district-level joint committees comprising the Deputy Commissioner, Nongpoh, and the Deputy Commissioner, Kamrup Metropolitan, along with police officers of the corresponding level from both districts, to ensure that day-to-day issues arising along the inter-State border are resolved promptly.
A separate joint committee comprising the Commissioner/Secretary-level Transport authorities of both States, along with representatives of the tourist vehicle associations, will also be constituted to facilitate and regulate tourist transport movement and safeguard the shared tourism interests of Assam and Meghalaya.
More than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles have already been safely escorted out of Meghalaya into Assam. Most of the stranded travellers and vehicles, including approximately 400-500 vehicles that were earlier held up in Meghalaya, have successfully crossed key transit corridors, including the Umiam Lake section.
The Assam Control Room has received 54 distress calls involving 175 persons seeking assistance with evacuation, including 22 private vehicles and five tourist vehicles. The Meghalaya Control Room has received 379 distress calls and taken steps to assist those seeking safe transit.
The two governments have agreed to establish a dedicated coordination mechanism between the IG, Special Branch, Assam, and the IG, Law & Order, Meghalaya, along with dedicated helplines. An online support forum will also be activated to assist in locating and facilitating stranded individuals. This mechanism shall remain operational until the situation is fully normalised.
The Governments of Assam and Meghalaya will take all necessary measures to ensure safe and secure transit arrangements for vehicles travelling from the southern parts of Assam to other parts of Assam, including movement from the Barak Valley through Meghalaya. Similarly, necessary arrangements will be made for people travelling from Meghalaya to other parts of Meghalaya through Assam.
The Government of Meghalaya reiterated that the State Government shall take responsibility for the safety and security of all tourists and vehicles travelling from Assam and other parts of the country into Meghalaya during their stay and movement within the State.
Five Masked Men Identified; Permanent Joint Committees to Address Border Issues

