Amid tight security and heavy deployment of Meghalaya Police personnel, leaders and supporters of the Jaintia National Council (JNC), Jaintia Students’ Union (JSU) and villagers protesting against Shree Cement over a proposed limestone mining project at Daistong village were stopped after crossing the Civil Hospital point while marching towards the Secretariat on Monday.
The protesters, carrying placards and banners while raising slogans of “Go back Shree Cement”, were prevented from moving further as police personnel erected barricades along the route leading to the Secretariat amid heightened security arrangements in the State capital.
The protest was triggered by the proposed public hearing scheduled for May 22 in connection with the mining project, which has drawn strong opposition from villagers and pressure groups over alleged violations of environmental and land laws, besides fears of ecological damage and loss of livelihood.
JNC president Sambormi Lyngdoh alleged that irregularities were found in the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) linked to the proposed project and claimed that concerns raised before various State departments had not received any official response.
“We have started this protest since last year. Last year, we have the public hearing of the Shree Cement regarding the plant. And what we found on the EIA of this Shree Cement is the they violet the Meghalaya Land Transfer Act and we have written our concern and complaint to the different department in the state of Meghalaya. But till date we are not receiving any official clarification from this department,” Lyngdoh said.
He further alleged that villagers of Daistong and members of civil society organisations were prevented from participating during the earlier public hearing. “The people from the village of Daistong were not getting a chance to participate in the public hearing and for the NGOs also, they have stopped us on the way by blocking the road with the dumper,” he claimed.
Questioning the legality of the proposed mining clearance, Lyngdoh said the EIA document allegedly referred to approvals from authorities in Gujarat instead of Meghalaya. “Before any company could conduct a public hearing they should receive terms of reference from the state government, but what happened in this EIA of Shree Cement, we have witnessed it clearly said that terms of reference have been approved by the SEIAA and SEAC of the Gujarat government. So this is purely illegal,” he said.
Accusing the State government of backing the project, Lyngdoh said the agitation was no longer directed solely at the company. “Right now we have declared our protest and agitation is no more against the Shree Cement but it is directly against the Meghalaya Government because without the consent of the Government, no company can set up their plant in the State of Meghalaya,” he stated.
He also alleged attempts to intimidate local residents ahead of the May 22 public hearing. “We know like the government is trying to deploy their Mafia, their gangster and all to stop the public from participating in this public hearing,” he claimed.
Lyngdoh further questioned the employment benefits promised by cement industries operating in the region. “We have 8-9 cement plants and a lot of coke factories, but the employers are from outside the state and only a few percent are from local villages,” he said, while demanding a State policy reserving 80% of jobs in cement companies for indigenous Khasi, Jaintia and Garo communities.
Referring to the proposed march towards the Secretariat, Lyngdoh said the organisations would continue peaceful democratic protests. “We have asked for permission from the district administration and they gave us permission till here only because this is just the beginning of our protest. We do not want to use our force. We want the protest to be peaceful and respectful to both sides, to the administration and to the police department,” he said.
Highlighting environmental and historical concerns, Lyngdoh claimed that caves linked to the legacy of freedom fighter Kiang Nangbah and the Lytein river could be affected by mining activities. “If the mining by the company will continue, all those caves will be destroyed and the river Lytein will be destroyed, plus the surrounding of that area is paddy field of the people. So agricultural land will also be destroyed and livelihood of the people will be destroyed,” he said.
Meanwhile, JSU general secretary Neikee Mukhim accused the State government of violating the Meghalaya Land Transfer Act, 1971, and environmental regulations.
“We have come along with JNC along with villagers of Daistong to oppose the public hearing to be organized on May 22 and demand the state government to immediately scrap this public hearing,” Mukhim said.
He alleged that the proposed land transaction violated provisions under the Sixth Schedule. “According to the law of 1971 the non local will not purchase land under the sixth schedule of the state of Meghalaya. This Syrpai Sukhlain, the owner of this area, is trying to sell this land to Bharat Sharma, who is the owner of the company, by violating the Land Transfer Act, 1971,” he claimed.
Mukhim also questioned the validity of the EIA process. “The government tried to copy the EIA belongs to Gujarat. Government of Meghalaya is trying to copy Gujarat model of EIA because we all know there is a difference between Meghalaya and Gujarat,” he alleged.
Warning against any unrest during the scheduled hearing, Mukhim said, “If anything happens on 22nd of May in the public hearing, the government and the district administration should take responsibility.”

