District Administration Denies KSU Permission for August 24 Sit-in Demonstration

The Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) has once again been denied permission to hold a sit-in demonstration in Shillong on August 24, with the East Khasi Hills district administration citing the prevailing security situation and the need to prevent any disruption to law and order. The decision comes amid intensified security arrangements across the city, with five companies of the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) and one company of the Rapid Action Force (RAF) deployed alongside increased patrolling.
East Khasi Hills Deputy Commissioner Abhilash Baranwal said the administration had expressed regret to the KSU over its inability to permit the proposed demonstration, maintaining that the immediate priority was to ensure public safety and restore confidence among residents following the recent law-and-order situation.
Talking to media persons, Baranwal said, “We have basically expressed regret to the organisation (KSU) that we will not be able to give them the permission to have the situation in demonstration on August 24.”
He said the enhanced security deployment was aimed at reassuring residents across Shillong and East Khasi Hills that adequate measures were being taken to safeguard them. He said extensive patrolling had been undertaken and additional CAPF and RAF personnel had been brought in as part of the administration’s security strategy.
“A lot of patrolling is going on and five companies of CAPF and one company of RAPF has been called and the overall commitment of district Administration is to ensure and give a feel of safety and Security to all citizens of and residents of shillong and East Khasi Hills,” the DC said.
Baranwal said the larger security presence would remain in place until residents felt safe and secure, indicating that the administration would continue monitoring the situation closely.
“So, that’s why you see all these patrolling and the considerably larger presence of security deployment across the city and will continue to do that unless until the time that the citizens of Shillong feel safe and secure,” he added.
The Deputy Commissioner also sought to reassure tourists and visitors from outside Meghalaya, saying the administration had received messages from across the country advising people against travelling to Shillong following the recent incident. He urged tourists not to assess the entire city on the basis of an isolated incident and stressed that Shillong remained open to visitors.
He said the people of Shillong and East Khasi Hills continued to welcome tourists and that the administration was committed to providing them with a safe environment. He also highlighted Shillong’s growing profile as a tourism destination and said the authorities wanted visitors to continue coming to the city.
Baranwal said the Tourism Department had also provided a dedicated helpline for tourists and that the administration would extend assistance wherever required.
He said security arrangements would be maintained along the lines of those put in place on August 21, particularly in view of the commencement of the Assembly session and the High Court hearing on the matter. The administration, he added, would take necessary steps to ensure that the situation did not affect the city’s law and order.

error: Content is protected !!