Meghalaya Invokes MMPO Act, Deploys CCTV, Drones After Shillong Violence


SHILLONG: The Meghalaya Government has invoked the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order (MMPO) Act and stepped up surveillance through CCTV cameras and drones to identify those involved in Wednesday’s violence in Shillong, Deputy Chief Minister in-charge of Home Police Prestone Tynsong said on Thursday. The Government, however, has decided against imposing a night curfew for now.
Tynsong said law-and-order review meetings were held with the Chief Secretary, Principal Secretary of the Home Department, Deputy Commissioners, Superintendents of Police and other senior officials.
“We had law and order review meetings today with all the senior officials including Chief Secretary, Principle Home, officials from Home Department, the Deputy Commissioner, Superintendent of Police, we have been briefed by the district administration about the law and order, so, till this evening things goes well. In fact no untoward incident happened till evening. Till this moment,” he said.
He said the district administration had been instructed to remain more vigilant during the night to ensure that law and order remained under control.
“Right now the situation has not arisen yet to have night curfew, we will not have the night curfew,” Tynsong said.
On the violence and damage to vehicles, Tynsong said the administration had deployed drones and was examining CCTV footage to identify those involved.
“Now the Government, the police, the district administration is on the job, let me tell you, yesterday we have already put in place the drone, as well as the CCTV and the district administration is on the job to identify those criminals who unnecessarily damaged and then commit criminal activities, the law will take its own course and we will not allow such things to happen,” he said.
He said the Government had already invoked the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act and action would be taken accordingly.
“In the PIL, now we are being asked by the High court affidavit has to be filed and the government has already invoked the Meghalaya Maintainance of Public Order act immediately and action will be taken accordingly,” he said.
Tynsong also said traffic movement along the Shillong-Guwahati National Highway, which was disrupted following incidents at Jorabat and Khanapara, had been restored after coordination between the governments of Meghalaya and Assam.
“Yesterday right from morning time we had problem with the National Highway of Shillong Guwahati where some problem happened in Jorabat, again some problem happened in Khanapara side, then we have instructed the district administration from Ri Bhoi district as well as chief secretary and DGP they were all in touch with the govt of Assam,” he said.
He said the Chief Secretaries and Directors General of Police of the two States had resolved the issue amicably.
“The problem is just resolved this evening itself where the chief secretary and DG of both the states has resolved it amicably and I would like to appeal to each and every one that this moment as I speak I think the traffic movement is smooth,” he said.
Tynsong said the police and district administration had been directed to remain proactive and prevent a recurrence of what he described as a “fear psychosis” among the public.
“We have already instructed the police personnel to be more proactive and also the district administration to make sure that the peace and tranquility is in place, Specially this fear psychosis of common people should not be repeated in days to come,” he said.
He said the Government would not allow attacks on vehicles and other acts that could affect peace between Meghalaya and Assam.
“These Govt of criminals attack govt vehicles, and the Assam Registration number vehicles which against the nationality peace tranquility of both the states,” he said.
Tynsong said the Chief Ministers of Meghalaya and Assam were in contact and could consider setting up a joint committee to restore normalcy and ensure the safety of people in both States.
“Of late Meghalaya and Assam CMs they are in touch, very soon I think they will take some kind of may be decision to have some joint committee and both the CMs will soon announce to restore back normalcy and also safety of both the state,” he said.
He also said a vehicle belonging to the Meghalaya High Court was damaged inside the court premises during Wednesday’s violence.
“Now again, this incident that has happened yesterday even the vehicle of the honourable high court was attack that also it happened inside the compound, it’s not the vehicle was parked outside. Well inside the compound and these criminals went and damaged this vehicle,” he said.

error: Content is protected !!