Meghalaya, Assam Appoint Ministers to Coordinate Border Situation; KSU Procession Permission Denied


SHILLONG: Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar and Assam Cabinet Minister Atul Bora have been tasked by the two State governments with coordinating efforts to restore normalcy and ensure free movement of commuters along the Assam-Meghalaya border, East Khasi Hills Deputy Commissioner Abhilash Baranwal said. The district administration has also denied permission to the Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) for its proposed procession and protests in Shillong, citing the need to prevent further confrontation and allow the city to recover from Wednesday’s violence.
Baranwal said the decision to deny permission was taken after a review of the situation following the “disturbing events” in the city.
“In light of yesterday’s events, disturbing events of yesterday, and after a careful deliberation and discussion, we have decided to deny the permission to KSU for their proposed procession and certain protests that they have proposed for tomorrow,” he said.
He said the administration believed Shillong was still recovering from the violence and that residents, particularly children who witnessed the incidents, were undergoing fear and trauma.
“From Administration, we understand that as of now, the city is healing, and the city is still recovering from the trauma that it suffered yesterday. Several children, several people who witnessed violence they are still undergoing feared and trauma. What the city needs at this point is some restraint and some time to heal,” he said.
Baranwal appealed to the KSU leadership and its members to respect the administration’s order.
“Please respect the orders of the administration. This order is not to curb any Democratic right, this order has been brought out just to be able to afford the opportunity to residents of Shillong to breathe, to recover, and to heal,” he said.
He urged the KSU not to organise any procession or protest that could result in a confrontation with security forces.
“Please do not come out for any procession or certain, which may lead to any confrontation with the security forces,” he said.
Baranwal also appealed to the organisation to consider the impact of further unrest on children.
“We must always remember and think about the children of Shillong. Few children, were unfortunate to witness what happened yesterday on these streets and simultaneously most of the children and their parents are as of now frightened,” he said.
“Let’s make sure that we do not put them through another day of uncertainty and confrontation. That’s my earnest appeal to KSU and its members,” he said.
He said the Deputy Chief Minister had stressed during the law-and-order review that the sense of safety and security among Shillong residents must be restored and that every effort should be made to prevent sporadic incidents across the city.
“What Deputy Chief Minister emphasise in the meeting is the feeling of security and safety should be restored to the people of Shillong and every effort must be made to ensure that no sporadic incident whatsoever takes place across the city,” he said.
Baranwal said the administration had been instructed to remain on alert and give the city adequate time to recover.
“He has instructed all of us to be on alert and make sure, basically, city gets its own recovery time,” he said.
Assuring residents of security, Baranwal said the administration would ensure the safety of all sections of society.
“We want to assure them that we are committed to keeping the city safe and secure. We are committed for safety of each and every resident, irrespective of whether they are a tribal, non-tribal. They are Khasi, Garo, Jaintia, or they are here for livelihood, or they are here for any other work,” he said.
He said the administration wanted to restore Shillong’s image as a tourist destination and ensure that children did not grow up in an atmosphere of fear.
“The point is that Shillong is a beautiful city, and this status as one of the most upcoming tourist destinations of the world must be restored. Children are the future of the city and the state, and they must not grow in a fear in an environment of fear,” he said.
The Deputy Commissioner said the administration would make every effort to ensure that residents could move out of their homes without fear.
“So we from District administration assure them that will take every effort possible, will make every effort possible, and will not leave any stone unturned to make sure that next time when they step out of their house, they’ll not have any sort of fear,” he said.
On the disruption to movement between Meghalaya and Assam, Baranwal said the administration had taken note of the inconvenience caused to commuters following protests and restrictions involving vehicles from both States.
“We have also noted with concern regarding the inconvenience caused to the commuters from both sides from the MLA vehicles as well as Assam registration vehicles, and there was protest and agitation and certain restriction, done by communities from both hands,” he said.
He said the Chief Ministers of Assam and Meghalaya had intervened and appointed one Cabinet-level representative from each State to coordinate efforts.
“In this light, I believe that the government at the highest level in both these states Chief Minister of Assam as well as Chief Minister of Meghalaya have come together. They have appointed Cabinet ministers, one one cabinet Minister from both States, who will be constant touch with each other to coordinate the efforts to make sure that such kind of inconvenience to the commuters does not really take place again,” he said.
Baranwal said the coordination mechanism would also seek to ensure that the right to free movement was protected.
“Simultaneously to ensure the right of free movement is preserved. From Meghalaya it is Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar and from Assam Cabinet Minister Atul Bora,” he said.

error: Content is protected !!